How Much Chocolate Is Ok To Eat?
We all love it. We all want it… but how much chocolate is OK to eat?
The experts say the recommended “dose” is approximately 1 to 2 ounces/day. Indulge in anything more than that, and you may be consuming too many calories.
I don’t buy that when I eat chocolate.
They also say: The most useful chocolate is bitter, it contains at least 60% cocoa. Cocoa beans are rich in dietary fiber and magnesium, therefore, it promotes the release of endorphins and serotonin, which are necessary to combat stress.
But white chocolate is my favorite.
In today’s episode, we are going to break down how to balance what the experts say, and what our heart wants! In true Empowered Eating form, we are going to unpack this question and leave you with an answer customized to you!
Answering this question can be broken down into two parts:
First, you must take inventory of where you are in your relationship with food. I like to break this down into 3 categories:
1. Diet culture-based eating: You will know you are here if there are lots of “should” and “shouldn’t”s and “cant’s” in your vocabulary. “I shouldn’t eat this chocolate. I should eat a salad instead. I can’t have that because…”
2. Intuitive eating: Here, we are in the permission space! There is no “can’t have” because you now realize you CAN!
3. Empowered Eating: This is where the pendulum starts to swing back a bit. You have said yes to chocolate as many times as your heart desired, but you are starting to feel your biofeedback and recognizing that you don’t love the way you feel physically and in your body when you eat all the chocolate.
The second step is to align your “OK” amount with your journey.
1. If you are in diet culture-based eating: I want to invite you to challenge yourself. Eat a whole candy bar. Buy yourself a bag of chocolate and share it with your friend. You are allowed to have some and nothing crazy can happen to your body in one day. The OK amount for you is one that allows you to eat chocolate. Period.
2. If you are in the intuitive eating space: Explore! There is no limit on your chocolate amount because that would be pushing you right back to where you were in your relationship with food. Instead, let’s figure out what kind you like!
What is your favorite chocolate? Go get it! The thinly challenge for you is to be mindful and present when you enjoy. Grab that chocolate, but sit down! You are allowed to eat as much as you want to as long as you are present, mindful, and enjoying it. Report back on your favorite chocolate.
3. Empowered Eating: Here is where I want to stretch your mind. That precise quantity or limit to define what is the “right” amount of chocolate, doesn’t exist. The good news? You have the answer within you!
We already know your favorite flavor… so next time you eat it, ask yourself a few questions. When you eat chocolate, can you feel your blood sugar rise? What is that balance point between what tastes good and what starts to feel off? Let’s start pulling in your biofeedback to help you determine an appropriate amount for you!
Here is the thing- you won’t get this right the first time. You are going to have to try out different volumes at different times. Yes! I am saying you are going to have to be willing to get it wrong. It is not if, but when you do eat too much, you will grow so much by meeting yourself with grace instead of going back into shame mode.
For me… I eat white chocolate (yes the “bad” one). It is my favorite! I don’t have a set amount. After many many nights of white chocolate treats here is what I’ve found:
I prefer to always have a treat in the house. It reminds the old me that I am allowed to and can have dessert any time I want. It is always available. Therefore, a limit isn’t necessary because I can always have more tomorrow. In fact, a limit is dangerous to me. Because of this, most often one truffle hits the spot. (With the exception of during my PMS week!)
So how much chocolate is OK?
Sister… it all depends on you! The best part of Empowered Eating is that YOU get to decide!
Cheers, and happy eating!